Saturday, April 4, 2009

to be ignored.

Oh dear, and to think I made myself believe that getting a new blog would encourage and somehow ensure more regular updates. Well I guess not huh. I must just be lazy. Which really wouldn't be much of a new discovery.

Anyway, it's been nearly two months (TWO! Aie. Fail.) since I last typed a blog entry and lots has been going on. Strange then perhaps that my life at present is actually rather mundane and monotonous. Mornings for me have pretty much disappeared (except for days when I attempt to be good and wake early for a nice run, but then those days haven't quite been happening of late). I mostly wake up to blazing afternoon sun, annoying bird sound things, dogs barking, maids chattering, grandmothers (just one actually, which is perfectly sufficient) talking very loudly, so yes. One gets the idea. Then it's bathing, late lunches and JOY! (haha no, not really) rehearsals. Then late dinners and loads of television. Yup, I do mean LOADS.

Well at this point I digress, for I feel I must go on to say what inspired me to get typing again.

So here I am sitting at the study table in my bedroom at two in the morning, with a million better things to do probably, but instead, I'm singing at the top of my not very big lungs, pretending I be the great musical theatre goddess (which the world must know I am so not). I'm belting out Avenue Q and Grease and Hairspray, American Idol style (a queer mix, no), complete with imaginary microphone in hand. At times even playing myself some air guitar. Air keyboards. Air drums. Air whatever. I'm living my secret musical theatre rock star life. And er, at the same time googling ACSian Theatre (please don't ask why). So I click on the first link that comes up, and get to the cover page (is that what one calls it?) of our website. My first smile comes because I see a hot man right there in front of me (yup, it's the love of Edlyn's life!). Then clicking to enter the site, I smile again because I see me golden boobs like basketballs (it was quite the miracle of my chest, Arabian Nights) grinning in my direction. Well moving on, when I've had my fill of that (haha, like an hour later maybe! Or not), I return to the page of ACSian Theatre google links and hunt my way down in the hope of interesting reads. And believe it or not, I'm led to Ed's livejournal. So I start by reading this entry where she's laughing non stop about Odysseus and Penelope and their secret olive bed in The Odyssey (that section is really rather hilarious), and I crack up, putting a huge fullstop to my glamorous songstress attempt. I have to continue reading on, but unfortunately after a few entries detailing (there weren't really quite as many details as I would've liked) how she sexes it up with John 'in front of his girlfriend' (the phrase pops up many times in more than one entry - now I see where Ed gets her daily excitement), she abandons the riveting topic for some of her other favourite things like Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy and how she adores imagining them being gay for each other, Merlin, a variety of Japanese stuff...basically things I fail very miserably to relate to. But suddenly at that moment, it no longer matters! Because I'm suckered into signing into my second blog (yes, this one which looks set to follow in the footsteps of its predecessor and rot into a sad sad mess) to type an update.

And I cannot believe I just spent five hundred over words of nothing explaining what got me started on this terribly delayed blog post.

Anyhow, A level results came back some time ago, and local university applications have since been made. As expected, I didn't do too great. No million distinctions, no name calling (I make this sound like a bad thing when it really isn't), no standing onstage, no getting to shout AC! with other smart people, no listing on the school website, no picture on the school website, no picture anywhere, but if one would even try to believe me, it's actually been great. Of course I was disappointed initially, crushed and all that about certain subjects and swearing I'd never touch this, this and this again. But after my usual sit down and think and cry for a bit (or maybe a lot) and pray thing that I do, I got things back in perspective. Though I didn't do fantastically for the As, or anywhere near that at all, I realised I actually improved truckloads from my prelims disaster. Pulling up some subjects by six, seven grades did take work; passing things I've spent two years failing. And well at the end of the day, academics really ain't everything. Sure it's important, but so are many other things. Looking back, I had an awesome time on the whole in jc, discovering and developing my passion for performing, for drama, for dance. I got many valuable opportunities to hone my craft, had the chance to work with fun, talented people on some of the most memorable productions ever (calefare days of West Side Story are still dearly missed, and great times during Arabian Nights and Pride and Prejudice will always be remembered). So yes I suffered a little on the studies front (because lucky me belongs to muggerzoid category - must mug ass off for months before a major exam in order to do well), but I don't regret it one bit. And then through some of the tougher times in jc, I found myself again, rediscovered God and His supreme importance in my life, realised the true value of a lovely family and what having close friends can do for the soul. The night of the results release, I sat on the floor of my bedroom and literally counted my blessings. And it struck me that I have so much to be thankful for. So I just sat there and prayed and gave thanks and praised the Lord. It was awesome. And well, since then, things have just gotten better. I finally found what I truly believe to be my life's calling. It was just in the middle of this conversation with two teachers and a friend and this thing was brought up and it was crazy, but I've never felt before like how I did in that instant. There was this tightening in my chest and I nearly cried right there in the middle of some random stairwell in the school building where this conversation was taking place, because I'd prayed for a long time for direction in life from God and I couldn't sense what He was leading me towards. But when my teachers suggested this career path because they figured it'd suit me and all, it just clicked. And I haven't wavered on that, though I continue to pray about it. But it's just been amazing really.

Well I'm now busy with The Odyssey, which should be my last ACSian Theatre production unless I'm fortunate enough to be called back sometime in the future to do an alumni play. It's been and continues to be an interesting experience, considering I get to play a virgin goddess who dances, fights and even sluts it up at some points (major highlight for me right there yo! And yay, I don't have lines!), so that's been good. Haha, besides being a greek goddess (I love how I make myself sound like a ravishing beauty), I am in certain sections, things like a flower, waves, and the such like. My dear mother fears she will not be able to understand the various changes and kindly requests signs for indication's sake. Or subtitles. And my joke of a brother, when he heard about certain scenes in the play, asked if it was a comedy. But anyway. Working with my fellow alumni, the current jc twos and the new jc ones has been nice. Mostly. Haha! The juniors have been great. It really never fails to amaze me how talented some people can be, and having seen the jc twos grow into their own, and now the jc ones shape up so insanely quick, it truly humbles me. The alumni friends have been the usual bunch they've always been. Just two categories! The nonsensical. And then the nonsense. Haha! Alright, no. Well, ah. Sigh. Can I just say I don't even know where this thing with me talking about The Odyssey is going, except to say...come watch our wonderful play!

Aie.

It's nearing four in the morning, and considering I've got a rehearsal on in about seven hours, I think I best be going to bed. This has been rather the meaningless entry, with lots of rambling and quite some unfinished thoughts, no. I must be tired. Oh dear, I really do pray for a sane update sometime soon. This is bad.

3 comments:

  1. aha! you HAVE posted after all! since you've produced such a long profound entry after that hiatus you're forgiven. i must say that i am looking forward to seeing you slut it up (not that we haven't already, but no matter)! you can belt all you like when we organise a karaoke party after that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello lesley! damn! wasn't the first to comment. aiyah, i think you're cursed to be profound but infrequent blogger lah. ACCEPT IT.

    ReplyDelete